Student VISA procedure for Germany
- A student visa is required by Indian students, who wish to pursue higher education in Germany and HAVE SECURED ADMISSION in a German University.
- Applicants should apply for the visa in person at least 3 months prior to departure. The visa processing may take 8--12 weeks.
Below documents are required for visa application to Germany:
- Duly filled VISA Application form.
- 4 photographs
- Demand Draft for visa fees (60 EUR)
- Letter of Admission
- Mark sheets and certificates
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- Proof of financial means. (details mentioned below)
- Valid Health Insurance
- Declaration of authenticity of documents submitted
Steps for VISA application at German Consulate General, Mumbai
1. Account opening in Deutsche Bank: Open an account in the deutsche Bank from India as soon as the student receives the offer letter. Student is required to download deutsche bank form from its site and get it attested by German Consulate General. This form is needed to be sent to deutsche bank. Once the account is opened, a deposit of 8040 is required.
2. VISA interview: Prior appointment is required for VISA interview. The same can be blocked on the website of German consulate General. Student needs to appear on the mentioned interview date with all the documents mentioned. The passport will be retained for verification and sent back after 10-15 days.
3. VISA grant- Student is required to visit the embassy again for VISA stamping on passport once he receives a call from embassy.
Proof of Financial Means:
In order to show that the student can bear their financial expenses during their course of study, he/she has to open a blocked account. A student’s blocked account ("Sperrkonto") is opened in Germany in Deutsche Bank in the name of the applicant. Deposit of minimum balance of Euro 8040 is to be made with the remark that the account holder can dispose of a monthly amount of EURO 670 for living expenses. It is highly recommended that the money transfer is made by international bank transfer. One cannot send bank drafts, money orders or cheques to open the blocked-account.
Please visit the Deutsche bank site for more information: