France is a developed and largest country in Europe, full of opportunities in various fields. Besides that, it is also filled with beautiful architecture and scenery and has a multicultural environment, making it more appealing for young minds. Each year thousands of students migrate to this country to pursue higher education and to pursue great career opportunities.
If you too are an aspirant who wishes to study in France then the first thing you might want to know would be the cost of education in France. In this article, we will be clearing all your queries regarding the expenses of studying and living in France as an international student.
Why Choose France?
If you haven’t yet made up your mind about studying in France, let us make it easy for you to decide. Here are some of the reasons why you should choose France as your study abroad destination.
- The France Government invests massively in the education and research fields with 20% of the state’s budget being invested in education. This has enabled the country to be able to provide the best and most accessible education system in the world.
- As a student in France, you can enjoy numerous benefits such as free access to libraries and museums, heavy discounts at electronics & IT stores, a higher rate of reimbursement on medical expenses, and many more such benefits.
- France is the fifth largest economy in the world with the best representation in the list of the top 100 most innovative companies. France is known for its skilled domains, particularly in arts and crafts and upmarket fields. This means you will have the opportunity to explore and work in any field that you want as you get so many choices.
- The French government subsidizes higher education which is why the cost of Study in France is relatively low.
Let’s now have a look at the tuition fee for international students in France:
Tuition fee is low in public institutions because the government subsidises higher education here. You will have to pay a differentiated registration fee for the following cases:
- It’s your first time enrolling in a bachelor’s, master’s or engineering degree.
- For higher education establishments that fall under MESRI.
- You are not settled in France permanently.
The state will cover two-thirds of your training cost, making the total registration fee you need to pay:
- To study bachelors in France will cost- EUR 2,770
- To study Masters in France will cost - EUR 3,770
Tuition costs for private institutions can range from EUR 3,000 to EUR 10,000 per year depending on the university and course you select. You can check the institute’s website to know about their tuition fee.
Housing and Accommodation Expense
The prices of housing will differ according to the type of accommodation you choose. Here’s an overview of the types of accommodations for students in France along with their average cost.
- University Residence Halls : A publicly owned student service known as CROUS manages university housing in France. They offer the most affordable housing options and the average monthly expense for living in most cities is EUR 200 and for Paris, it is EUR 400.
- Private Apartments : If you plan on staying alone you can rent a studio apartment for EUR 500- EUR 700 in smaller cities and EUR 900 for bigger cities.
- Shared Apartments : You can also opt for a shared apartment where you will have you can save some expenses by sharing the space yet having your personal space. Getting a shared apartment in France will cost you around EUR500- EUR700.
- Living with a French Family : Another option which you can choose is to live with the locals, this will also allow you to fully immerse yourself into the culture of France. It is also the most inexpensive option as the families offer housing at a cost as low as EUR 200 and sometimes for free in lieu of assistance around the house.
Some of the other expenses that you will have to bear are as follows:
- Airfare to France : Flying to France from your home country will cost approximately EUR 450
- Transportation : You can get a monthly pass for buses, trams, or metro at EUR 52
- Visa Fees : For the visa, you will have to pay EUR 50
- Mobile Plan (Monthly) : You will also need to get a mobile plan for daily calling and an internet plan combined, it will cost approximately EUR 60 per month.
Studying in France is not that costly if you are mindful of your spending. With proper planning and guidance, you can easily complete your education in France. For further assistance and guidance, you can connect with us at KC Overseas. We are global education consultants who provide end-to-end assistance with overseas admission to fulfil your study abroad dreams