SDS or Student Direct Stream, is an accelerated program for getting a post-secondary study permit from a designated learning institution in Canada. For aspirants wishing to pursue their studies in Canada, SDS institutes offer a simpler student visa application process. This process can also be executed with minimal documentation and can be carried out in comparatively lesser time.
Read on to learn about the main features of SDS Canada and the list of DLIs that fall under this stream.
What is the Student Direct Stream (SDS)?
As mentioned, SDS simplifies the visa application process by streamlining it. Under this system, the entire visa procedure for education in Canada will be processed in 45 days or less, including the return of the Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from the issuing bank.
However, one must keep in mind that –
- The application would have to be submitted at least 3 months prior to your travelling date to Canada. Applications received after 1st April (for the May entrance) or after 1st August (for the entry in September) and after 1st December (for the entry in January) may be denied.
- You should be capable of funding your living expenses, i.e. around CAD 10,000 annually. This amount does not include education fees.
SDS universities and colleges in Canada
The list of DLI universities and colleges that allow admission through SDS visa in Canada –
- McGill University’s School of Continuing Studies, Montreal, Quebec
- York University, School of Continuing Education, Toronto, Ontario
- University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Seneca College, Toronto, Ontario
- George Brown College, Toronto, Ontario
- Sheridan College, Oakville, Ontario
- Douglas College, New Westminster, British Columbia
- Conestoga College, Kitchener, Ontario
- Georgian College, Barrie, Ontario
- Fanshawe College, London, Ontario
There are many more DLI colleges in this list. For this you should check the official Canadian Study Permit website.
Students of which nationalities can apply under SDS Canada Scheme
Students from the following countries can apply to universities and colleges in Canada under the SDS scheme:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
Eligibility and rules of SDS Canada (For Indian students)
The SDS program has the following features and requirements as per the new guidelines. Failure to adhere to any of these rules could result in the visa being considered under the non SDS category. However, it is highly recommended to file the visa under the SDS, if the admission is from the college. The documents required are as follows:
- First year tuition fee payment receipts.
- Guaranteed investment certificate of CAD 10,000.
- IELTS 6-band score in each module.
- Letter of acceptance copy from the specific DLI educational institution.
- Copy of initial medical examination paperwork.
Other documents regarding prior academic qualifications may also be asked for.
Which banks offer GIC in India?
Given below are some of the affiliate/partnering institutions that offer GIC in India:
- ICICI Bank
- SBI Canada
- Scotia Bank
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
- HSBC Bank of Canada
How is SDS Canada beneficial for students?
SDS is one of the best routes to apply for a student visa approval because it gives the following benefits to the applicants:
- It allows the eligible overseas students to expedite the process of receiving a study in Canada permit: According to the statistics, from January to October 2021, 76% of the overseas students, from eligible countries, who had sent an application for Canadian education through the SDS route were approved. In the non – SDS section, only 49% of applicants were approved. Of these students, Indian students were in a majority as compared to the students from other nationalities. Indian students accounted for around 95% of all the total applications through SDS.
- Minimal financial documentation: Through the SDS stream, the financial documentation that you require is the tuition fee receipt and a GIC of CAD 10,000. But through the Non-SDS route, you require the tuition fee receipt and a GIC of CAD 10,000 along with the ITR documents of the applicant or the sponsor. Not only that, you also require proof of financial funds covering student loans, bank savings and investments.
- Higher success rate through the SDS stream: Through the SDS stream, the rate of approval was 71% in 2021, as compared to 40% of the Non-SDS applicants.
What are the perks of SDS Canada?
The perquisites of applying through SDS Canada are many. Some of the more prominent ones are mentioned below:
- The pool of colleges/universities and programs is more as compared to SPP Canada.
- Faster processing times for the application. The process is initiated within 20 days.
- The process becomes more streamlined with higher rates of approval.
- The application process is hassle-free.
We sincerely hope that now you are clear about the advantages of applying for your visa through the SDS channel. But still, if you need more clarity, please contact our academic consultants at KC Overseas Education to know more regarding SDS Canada or higher education abroad.