A country with a world-class education system, amazing teaching facilities and high-quality research, New Zealand offers an unmatched study-abroad experience. More and more students are opting to study in New Zealand each year because of the work experience, skills, and opportunities it provides. Thus, making it a leading study destination.
If you too are an aspirant who is willing to study in New Zealand, then you must know that there is a student visa requirement for international students. In this article we will tell you all about New Zealand student visa so, read till the end to know how you can get one.
Let’s begin by discussing how many types of visas are there for students and which one should you apply for.
Types of Student Visas in New Zealand
- Fee-paying visa- With this visa, you can study in New Zealand for up to four years and work part-time as well.
- Exchange student visa- With this visa, you can study for up to four years in New Zealand in an exchange program only.
- Pathway student visa- With this visa, you can study in New Zealand for up to five years in three consecutive courses and work part-time.
Now, as an international student who wishes to pursue higher education in New Zealand in a single course the ideal choice of visa for you is the fee-paying visa.
Before you can apply for the visa you need to make sure that you are eligible for it.
- You must be accepted in a course at an education institute approved by the Ministry of Education or New Zealand Qualifications Authority.
- Evidence that you can pay the tuition fee or proof that you have a scholarship that pays your fees.
- You must have proof that you can fund your livelihood while studying in New Zealand
- Proof that you have enough funds to get a return ticket to NZ.
Necessary documents that you will need when applying for a study visa for education in New Zealand are given below.
- A coloured passport-size photo
- A passport with validity till 3 months after leaving New Zealand
- E Medicals from empanelled doctor
- Police clearance certificate
- Translated document (If documents not in the English language)
Some additional documents you might need:
- Academic documents
- Proof of any employment history (if any)
- Proof of funds (indicating you can support yourself while studying in NZ)
- Financial guarantor’s information (identity and relationship)
- English language test scores
- Statement of purpose
Once you have all these documents ready, you can start with your visa application by following the simple application process given below.
Apply for a Student Visa
The final step of the process after checking your eligibility and making sure you have all the documents is to apply for the visa. You can apply for the NZ visa either online or through a printed form. Whichever medium you choose to apply for the visa, make sure you do so at least 2 months prior to your course commencement date.
- Gather Supporting Documents
Submit all the necessary documents to Immigration New Zealand (INZ) at the time of application. This will ensure a smooth processing of your application and will result in getting a quicker decision. If you are applying online, you will have to scan and upload all the appropriate documents.
- Find Out the Visa Cost
You will have to pay an immigration cost and student centre fee depending on the kind of submission you make online or on paper. The fees will also vary depending on the city you are applying from. You can check the cost on the official government website of New Zealand.
- Getting the visa
Once the application is submitted you will have to wait for approximately a month for your application to be processed by INZ. Once your visa has been approved, an e-visa will be sent. You must keep a printed copy as well as save the visa on your mobile so you can show it at the border upon your arrival.
Now you are all set for your higher education abroad in New Zealand. Once you have your visa you can take a flight to your destination anytime you wish to.
If there are still any doubts in your mind regarding the visa process or any other query about studying abroad in New Zealand, you can contact our country experts at KC Overseas. We will help in resolving all your queries as well as provide you guidance throughout the study abroad process!