Indian students often choose Canada as their study-abroad destination. It is home to a number of well-regarded educational institutions that also provide competitive tuition rates.
Are you thinking of pursuing higher education in Canada but think the tuition cost is too high? You may find it challenging to keep track of all the money you'll need to pay for the cost of education in Canada, even though it is one of the less expensive countries with study abroad scholarships.
Scholarships for Indian students to study in Canada often necessitate a respectable GPA, however, this varies according to factors like the student's intended Canadian University, major, and level of study. Some scholarship applications will look favorably on participation in extracurricular activities and voluntary work. So, if you're an Indian student thinking about studying in Canada, you should check out this site; it contains information on several foreign scholarships specifically for Indian students in Canada.
Let's have a look at some of the scholarships in Canada open to Indian students to see if any of them fit your financial need and help you achieve your educational goals in Canada.
Government of Canada International Scholarships Program
- The Government of Canada International Scholarships Program offers financial aid for students who wish to study & research at the college or undergraduate level in Canada.
- This program is offered by the Government of Canada to support international students in their academic pursuits.
- The program is designed for students who have a valid student program agreement that waives tuition fees.
- The scholarship covers expenses such as tuition, accommodation, and living expenses for a period of four months or one academic term.
- The amount of scholarship ranges from $10,200 to $12,700 depending on the course level.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) program is a prestigious scholarship for highly qualified doctoral students in Canada.
- The scholarship is named after Major-General Georges P. Vanier, the first francophone Governor General of Canada.
- It is valued at $50,000 per year for three years and is awarded based on three selection criteria: Academic Excellence, Research Potential, and Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability).
Fonds de recheche du Quebec Scholarships and Grants
- The government of Quebec provides funding for Ph.D. programs, postdoctoral fellowships, and short-term research or professional development through the Nature and Technology Research Fund (FRQNT), the Health Research Fund (FRQS), and the Society and Culture Research Fund (FRQSC).
- The Fonds de recherche du Québec (FRQ) offers scholarships and grants for international students, but the amount of the scholarship can vary depending on the program and the student's specific needs.
- Typically, the FRQ provides financial support for international students through scholarships, which usually cover tuition fees, and research grants, which can be used to cover expenses related to the student's research activities.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- The Trudeau Foundation annually awards up to fifteen graduate students who are pursuing or have recently completed Ph.D. degrees in the social sciences and humanities. Each scholar might receive up to $60,000 over four years.
- This amount is offered to doctoral candidates of up to $40,000 – 60,000 per year for three years to cover tuition and reasonable living expenses.
- It also offers up to $20,000 per year for three years for language learning, travel and accommodations for the Foundation’s leadership program and for research, networking, and travel related to their doctoral research.
- In addition to financial support, recipients of these scholarships become permanent members of the Foundation's alumni network and gain access to a global community of experts in their chosen fields through the Foundation's Scholars, Fellows, and Mentors.
- It also provides leadership training from Mentors and Fellows, including unique experiential learning opportunities.
Apart from all the above, it offers opportunities to acquire greater proficiency in Canada’s official languages (French and English) as well as Indigenous languages.
University Specific Scholarships
University of Toronto Scholarships in Canada
- Merit and need-based admissions grants are available at the University of Toronto.
- Three of their most prominent scholarships are the National Scholarship Program, the President's Scholars of Excellence Program (PSEP), and the University of Toronto Scholars Program.
- The International Scholar Awards are awarded to exceptional international students across the University of Toronto.
- These awards are renewable and offered upon admission, with a total value of over $100,000.
- Selected international students in the Faculty of Arts & Science are automatically considered for this award, which is valued at up to $50,000 in the first year of study. However, this award is not renewable.
University of Waterloo Scholarships in Canada
- Scholarships at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, for International Students Pursuing Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctoral Degrees.
- The most prestigious school in Canada for international students and ranked ninth nationally. The University of Waterloo offers a fully funded scholarship for international students for the academic year 2023-2024.
- This grant is accessible for undergraduate, master’s and PhD studies and is worth up to $10,000. The award covers tuition fees and living expenses for international students.
Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program
- Ontario's top graduate students across all fields of study have had access to merit-based scholarships under the OGS program since 1975.
- Students must first receive a study permit and an acceptance letter from an Ontario university. Each semester's scholarship award is $5,000. Two sessions of $10,000 each; one session of $15,000 each are possible (three consecutive sessions). Ultimately, the unit can only pay for a maximum of one-third of your total prize.
- Each grant is valid for one calendar year (two to three academic sessions). Your offer letter will specify the value and length based on criteria established by the graduate unit making the grant.
Now that we have listed down all that you need to know, you may still be confused about which scholarship opportunities are best for you. Get a free profile evaluation from KC’s Canada experts, to know which suits you the best. Many Canadian universities and colleges offer study abroad scholarships specifically for Indian students. If you have any questions or concerns about your overseas education, get in touch with KC, as they have solutions to all your queries.