Sweden is an extraordinary country and home to some of the best universities in the world. Out of these, Uppsala University is one such place where every year, approximately 45,000 students apply to pursue their bachelor’s or master’s in Sweden. To learn more about why you should pursue your higher education in this country and what makes Uppsala University one of the best universities in Sweden, continue reading below!
Why Study in Sweden?
There are many reasons why students opt to study in Sweden every year. Some of these are:
- Sweden harbours a very conducive and safe environment for international students so that they can explore Swedish culture as well as the culture of fellow students coming from different parts of the world. One of the largest student populations in Sweden can be found in the cities of Lund and Uppsala. There is also a unique experience that students can participate in when residing in Uppsala’s Flogsta neighbourhood. Every night at 10 pm, resident students gather in the neighbourhood and let out a collective scream, setting a beautiful example of how students support each other and have fun at the same time.
- Sweden is blessed with natural beauty all around. Those living in Sweden have the right to access all public land for different kinds of recreational purposes. Whether you enjoy ice skating, skiing, hiking or fishing, international students have the opportunity to explore this natural beauty, either by enjoying a quiet walk or picnic amidst the greenery after their class hours or during the weekends, or they can participate in adventure sports and get their blood pumping.
- In Sweden, one can find the headquarters of many popular companies such as Ericsson, H & M, Spotify, and Volvo where students can intern during their session break and gain invaluable experience. Sweden undoubtedly is one of the best countries to study abroad.
- Sweden is very strategically located and international students will find it very easy to travel to other Scandinavian countries or to Europe. Such destinations can be reached by availing a flight or train.
About Uppsala University
Located in Uppsala, Sweden, this public research university was founded in 1477. Uppsala University (UU) is recognised as one of the top 100 universities in the world. It ranks 124th on the QS World University Rankings list and 131st on the World University Rankings.
For more than 500 years, UU has been instrumental in providing quality pedagogical and professional education. The university has also put into effect the best academic standards in the teaching domain and has conducted research work that has made a world of difference. Since Uppsala University was founded in 1477, it has attracted the brightest minds in the world. Many academicians associated with the university have been honoured with the prestigious Nobel Prize. Such people include Svante Arrhenius, Manne Siegbahn, Hjalmar Branting, Hugo Theoreli, Alva Myrdal, and Svante Paabo.
Subjects Taught at Uppsala University
Uppsala University offers 128 international master’s programmes. It also offers specialisations that are taught in English, medicine & pharmacy, science & technology, social sciences, and humanities.
1. Physical Sciences
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Physics & Astronomy
- Geology, Earth & Marine Sciences, Environmental
2. Computer Science
5. Social Sciences
- Communication & Media Studies
- Politics & International Studies
6. Arts & Humanities
- History, Philosophy & Theology
- Languages, Literature & Linguistics
7. Business & Economics
- Accounting & Finance
- Business & Management
- Economics & Econometrics
9. Engineering & Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- General Engineering
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering
10. Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health
- Medicine & Dentistry
You can expect the tuition fees of Uppsala University to vary between 50,000 to 73,000 SEK per semester.
As an international student, you will be required to apply for a master’s programme through the national application system that is operated by the University Admissions in Sweden. You can do this by visiting universityadmissions.se. You can only submit your application during the two official admission rounds. An important sequence of steps, which needs to be followed, is:
- Choose the master's programme you would like to study
- Go through the entry requirement thoroughly and apply online
- Submit relevant documents
- Pay the application fee
- Submit your completed application
- Track your application from time to time
The necessary documents that a student is expected to submit are listed below:
- Translated academic records
- Statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation
- Application summary sheet
- The eligibility requirements to get admission at Uppsala University will vary from one master’s programme to the other. So, as an applicant, you need to:
- Make sure to go through the programme-specific requirements for your application. To find out the same, you will need to click on the master’s programme you are planning to study and check the ‘Applications and Requirements’ section.
- Create your account on the university admission website and process your application.
- Rank the programmes chosen in order of preference and then submit your choices prior to the application deadline.
Uppsala University is a premier university not only in Sweden but also in the entire world. It has many references in literature as well as popular films such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
To make your dream of pursuing your master’s in Sweden a reality with Uppsala University, you need proper guidance from the experts. KC Overseas provides extensive support to all students planning to study abroad. Get in touch with us for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.